November 22, 2018

Under 16 rugby v Sedbergh

By Rory N, Year 11

We entered the game with the heavy 56-7 defeat that Sedbergh had inflicted on us just a few weeks earlier freshly in our minds. However, with the status of our opponent and our defeat to them earlier in the season came the sense that we had nothing to lose. And we showed this in our play.

We applied early pressure to the Sedbergh defence and came close to scoring in the opening minutes with Jake S. It was then Tristan S’s turn to get NSB up and running however his try was questionably disallowed for double movement. With us failing to capitalise on our early dominance it was Sedbergh’s turn to show their exceptional skill and speed. After Sedbergh’s number 8 received the ball he drew in the defence and passed out to the number 14 who ran the remaining length of the pitch to give Sedbergh a 7-0 lead.

NSB were quick to respond with Ollie F after he decided to tap and go from a penalty we had been rewarded. He dummied the defender, hit the gap and dived under the posts for NSB’s first try of the match. The conversion was successfully kicked by Sam P to put the score at 7-7. 

With half-time approaching we maintained our dominance in the match and were eventually rewarded with a penalty in front of the posts. Captain, Ollie opted to kick for the three points which Sam successfully did to give NSB a 10-7 lead at half-time. The message at half time was clear; continue what we’re doing and take every point we can.

We came out for the second half just like we did in the first. We yet again received another penalty which Sam kicked for the three points. The score was now 13-7. At this point we were well on top in the match, but after a mistake from us on the ball, Sedbergh’s outside centre was rewarded with a try which he took well, kicking the ball over the try line and then diving on the ball. The score was now 13-12 to NSB after Sedbergh failed to kick the conversion.

After this, Sedbergh were briefly on top, with us starting to wear down things weren’t looking good, however this all changed in an instant. After some quick thinking Lewis R jumped out of the defensive line, intercepted the ball and used his pace to narrowly evade two tackles. The score was now 20-12.

There was still 15 minutes to be played and the game was far from over after Sedbergh scored their third try of the game after a maul from their own line out. The conversion was again missed leaving the score at at 20-17. With the game coming to a close the game was evenly matched. Sedbergh had a scrum on their own 22. They attempted to play the ball wide to be only intercepted once again by Lewis. He placed the ball under the posts and the score was now unbelievably 27-17 to NSB.

We were left with the simple job of kicking the ball out from the kick off however, failed to do so twice. Sedbergh regained the ball but knocked it on instantly. The final whistle went and celebrations began. Mr Hogarth summed it up as better then his wedding day although he was very clear that nobody should repeat or publicise this!